Why an Enclosure Air Conditioner is Best for NEMA Type 4x Ratings
NEMA ratings identify the conditions to which an electrical enclosure can be safely exposed. The cooling system for the enclosure must be compatible with the requirements to ensure that the components inside stay protected. Depending on the application and the associated NEMA rating, you can use a cabinet cooling fan, an air to air heat exchanger, or an air conditioner to provide cooling.
However, not every cooling solution is appropriate for every application, which is why it is so important to make a careful selection. In the case of NEMA Type 4X electrical cabinets, an enclosure air conditioner is typically the best option. In applications where the ambient temperature is low enough, an air to air heat exchanger may be suitable.
NEMA Type 4X is the designation given to electrical enclosures that have the following characteristics:
- Located indoors or outdoors
- Can be located offshore
- Protect against rain and particles carried by the wind
- Protect against washdown conditions and splashing liquids
- Resistant to corrosion from chlorine, salt, and other corrosive materials
Some of the applications where NEMA 4X enclosures are used include marine environments, waste water treatment, and food processing.
Why Use an Enclosure Air Conditioner for NEMA 4X Applications
Some of the reasons an enclosure air conditioner is the best cooling solution for NEMA 4X applications include:
- Closed-loop cooling – The components inside an enclosure must be protected from the ambient environment at all times, especially when corrosive materials are present. An enclosure air conditioner provides closed-loop cooling so that no ambient air ever enters the system. This helps protect from humidity, airborne particles, and corrosion.
- Condensate management systems – Traditional air conditioners with condensate drains are typically not suitable for harsh environments that must be controlled at all times. An enclosure air conditioner with a condensate evaporation system eliminates the need for drains and external tubing.
- Programmable controls – Harsh environments often allow limited access for personnel, which means your cooling system has to operate successfully on its own. Programmable controls with high-temperature and malfunction alarms ensure that the system runs as much or as little as necessary to maintain the desired temperature inside the enclosure.
Thermal Edge offers cooling solutions for all NEMA ratings, including 4X. If you are designing an electrical cabinet for your own company or for a customer, get in touch with us today to learn more about our comprehensive line of enclosure air conditioners. We’ll help you select the one that best matches your needs so you can be confident that your valuable assets are protected.
What type of cooling solutions are you currently using for NEMA 4X enclosures?